A History of the Holden Inn
- 1840 - The original owner, Captain Richard Freeman, built the cottage in 1848.
- 1863 - James Mott purchased the property and it became known as the Mott House.
- 1914 - Sold to Ryder, a jeweler from Bridgewater.
- 1924 - Mrs. Frances S. Holden, an aunt of the present owner, purchased the inn and named it The Holden Inn. By 1928, she had increased the size by building the lodge.
- 1938 - Another family member, nephew John H. Higgins, came into the picture as the new owner. With each change of ownership, as is typical of New England homes and inns, additions were added.
- 1943 - The Underhill house (the cottage) was repurchased after having been sold off in the late 1800's.
- 1969 - William A. Fricker and his wife Letitia became the new owners and made more improvements to the property.
- 1981 - Mr. Fricker passed away and his wife Letitia continued to run the Inn. At present, the next generation Frederick and Patricia (Letitia's daughter) Young and their son Jeremy is carrying on the family tradition.
For over 95 years many have returned each season to get a taste of Olde New England at its best.